Friday, September 24, 2010

And another one…

We set out earlier today. With three traps out, in two different areas, we had to hurry up. It was still dark when we went out at 4:45 AM. We scoured between the cane rows with our light. We didn't mark where we set up the traps for fear of losing them. We found one. The door was triggered, but there was nothing in the trap. We hurried to the second one. Trapdoor was still up. Nothing. We walked to the next one, which was on the other side of the parcel we're currently in. It was the last one. Still nothing. We took the trap with us; I was to hide it in a safe place. The morning is starting to creep in. We have to hurry; we've already seen workers moving towards the direction of the hacienda. We cannot risk being seen by more people. I decided to hide the trap in a cane parcel next to the road. I covered it with dried cane leaves, and was about to follow Jeric to retrieve the 2 other traps when I saw man walking towards me. I stopped and greeted him good morning. I let him walk in front of me. He was going towards the same direction I was going, and where Jeric was still busy with retrieving the 2 traps. I hope he doesn't see Jeric popping out of the cane field with a trap in hand. He didn't. But another worker, on a carabao, did.

I observed him as he was walking towards me. He was checking out the areas between the cane rows. A bad feeling was creeping at me. I got the other trap from Jeric, and hurried to the one I hid. If he went searching that other field, he will chance upon it. I tried walking even faster. I was relieved to see he was going in a different direction. I got the first trap, and sat on a rock, the two traps in front of me. One has Tom in it, while the other had dried fish.

I was caught by surprise when I saw several workers walking towards me from the direction where we retrieved the traps. I cursed under my breath. All of them stopped when they saw me with the traps. They were all interested in either the rat or the trap, or both. Big trouble.

Very BIG trouble. I saw Jeric walking amongst the men, I stood up, and motioned for him to keep walking. I was in a foul mood. And so was he.

The word is out. We are trapping marals. With white rats. With nice traps. The discussion was our breakfast this morning. How to go about this? Manang Diding will know. I am also frustrated by our failure. I know it's only our second attempt, but I do not have months to try and capture a cat. I decided to have Jeric ask nang Diding if she knows a local who hunts leopard cats. To top this morning's fiasco, we didn't have power until late in the afternoon.

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment