Saturday, September 25, 2010

Yet again…

Instead of baiting the hair snares this morning, we set out with the carpenters who will be working on our observation posts to gather the bamboo. I enjoyed the ride on the tractor, although I probably have numerous cuts from the cane, again. We also saw some edible mushrooms on the way, and although Jeric was first to get to them, I asked him to give them to carpenters. The real Platform Day will be tomorrow!

Our third attempt, yes. With the help of the village hunter, we set up two traps. Walking through the Transect 13, manong Ronnie would peer inside the cane from time to time. I guess he’s trying to think like a cat; something I’ve failed to do several times already. He stopped. We went in. This time, we went further inside parcel 5. Tom was unwilling to go inside the bait compartment. Quite understandable. The set up was basically the same; nong Ronnie didn’t put soil to camouflage the trap floor though. From parcel 5, we went further in. We’re going to parcel 13 THROUGH the cane. I braced myself. Off to #13 we go, winding through the cane, wincing every time a blade catches some bare skin. He stopped, and again, he bent down and leveled the soil. This is where we’re setting the second one up. Same procedure. We tried the treadle-and-door mechanism several times, and like Tom’s trap, Jerry’s was working well. We stood up, and I braced myself again for more cane. We went straight home.

No comments:

Post a Comment