Friday, October 1, 2010

Live bait

How would you feel if you were left for days in a trap, with only your feeder and waterer to accompany you in the bait compartment? I would be traumatized, I imagine.

We didn’t take the traps, or baits, out in the morning, and I visited them alone this afternoon to replenish their food and water supply. Tom was her usual perky self, but no longer panicky. She also up-ended her feeder, scattering food all over the trap floor. I replenished her food and water, and scolded her a bit for throwing away her food. Geri was better with her food, but I threw it away because it got wet when it rained hard earlier in the afternoon. I also gave her some water. The moment I set down her waterer, Geri started drinking. I apologized for the delay in delivering water to her; I gave her some more.

I walked to where the first trap baited with chick was. I’m beginning to hate the vines that grow between cane rows. I almost always get caught in them, either my neck, or my feet. As I got closer to the trap, the chick started yipping loudly. I told it, “It’s ok, it’s just me.” I quickly got to it, gave it more food and water; it was hungry. I said, “I’m sorry; next time we’ll bring you food earlier.” I moved to the next trap. The chick yipped even louder when I bent down to take the bamboo stakes out to open the bait compartment door. It was scared. I put my hand in, and it kipped under it. When I moved to get the waterer and feeder, it yipped again, and when I put my hand on it, it stopped. I crooned to it. I was sorry to leave it on it’s own. Before I left, I said, “Get me a cat, will you?” I went on to check the last one. It didn’t have any more food, or water, so I gave it some. It was thirsty. I gave it some more water.

It was almost 6 PM by the time I finished my round of the traps. I was exhausted. I realized I moved more quickly when Jeric’s not around. I also realized that my memory served me well, at least in finding the traps. They were all set deep within a cane field, and only a braid of cane leaves mark the entrance to the row where the traps were set.

I walked slowly on my way home. I love these walks. They induce me to think. I thought, there must be some improvement we can do on the traps. Camouflage the floor more, perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha, I love your blog... and I love that you identify with the mouse... I don't think he know much of "freedom" anyhow... for them probable is just like: ohhh, this doesn't smell like a lab!

    ReplyDelete