Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tabo-an

We woke up early today to check the traps, and retrieve the chicks; traps will be closed for the weekend. We hurried home after, knowing we need to leave Araal early. Today is the tabo-an. While it literally means meeting, tabo-an in Ilonggo is ‘market day’, the day when crop-producing barangays come down to the town market to sell their produce. Fruits, meat, fish, vegetables, and eggs are cheaper compared to a regular day at the market. It is also when kakanin, any delicacy made from glutinous rice, will be sold everywhere.

We started off with the groceries, not knowing today was a big sale day for the only supermarket in town. Lopue’s La Carlota was packed, and it was only 8:30 in the morning! Jeric left to purchase the things we needed from the wet market, while I was left to wait patiently for my turn at the cashier. We have had several incidence with the guard and the cashier at that supermarket. They didn’t want us to use our own bag, and the last time I was there, I got irritated that I went straight to the manager and complained. He was nice enough, but I guess since then, I earned myself a reputation at Lopue’s. I left for the market afterwards. I’m excited. Today is my first tabo-an.

I was amazed at what I saw. The streets surrounding the market were filled with vendors selling everything from tomatoes to dried fish to second-hand clothing. I roamed around, my eyes feasting on all these. I purchased a few things we need, and proceeded to the tricycle terminal where I’m meeting Jeric.

I love tricycles from Araal! You can ask them to take your water container, have it refilled at the water refilling station, and have them take your container back to your place—for only PhP20 for the whole trip! Or you can leave a boxful or groceries at Lopue’s, go into town to do some marketing, take the trike, and ask them to pass by Lopue’s so you can retrieve your groceries and take it home with you. Which is exactly what we did on our way back to Ara-al.

No comments:

Post a Comment